What is This Thing that You Have Given Me?


37th in a series on how men and women in the Bible 
deal with waiting, disappointment and unemployment

What is This Thing that You Have Given Me?
Reflections on Psalm 142

For eight years I have searched my past, I have studied the Scriptures, I have spoken with godly men and women, and I have cried out to God for wisdom and understanding. Up to 2011 when I interviewed for a job, I got it. Ministries grew, people expressed appreciation and God confirmed my calling as a Pastor even when some would seek to undermine my efforts. But for the past eight years I feel like I have been living in an alternate universe. Where things do not go according to plan and I can hardly get an interview much less a job. Am I alone in this experience?  Is everyone else successful while I slip into oblivion?  Is there a perspective that I haven’t considered?

David wrote Psalm 142 about a time when he was hiding from Saul in a cave. He had been anointed by Samuel years earlier as God’s chosen man to be King over Israel. God had given him success over Goliath and many of his enemies. But now....but now....where are the victories?  Where is the intimacy he had with his people and with God?   He had sinned but God had forgiven him. Was he now bearing the consequences of that sin?  He even cries out, “No one is concerned for me.  I have no refuge; no one is concerned for my life.”  That’s the cry of a lonely and desperate man. It is our cry too. I’ve heard it. I’ve said it myself. 

Could it be that this is an intentional place to which God has brought us?  Wait a minute!  ‘I thought God wanted only good for me. I thought God was our ABBA father....our Daddy.’ “What father when a son asks for a fish gives him a stone?”  For eight years I identified with Esau who begged his father, Isaac for a blessing, “Is there anything left for me?”  Have I been left out or overlooked?  Did I miss class on the day they were handing out blessings?  

The loss of a job, illness, wandering children, the death of a loved one or any other tragedy leads us to the sentiments of Psalm 142. i.e. Where are you God?  What did I do to deserve this?  But what if we reframed our experience from the next angle to which David points us?  “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.”  At the “Traction” conference that I just attended, the speaker gave us this question to mull over: “What is this thing that you have given me?”  
“Given” infers a gift. And if God is good then his gifts are good as well. So, could it be that my job loss is a gift?  My sciatic pain? And anything else that a normal person would interpret as a tragedy. If “this thing” is from God then I have hope and I have purpose. I will continue to have to fight feelings of abandonment by others and emotions that threaten to tear me apart and so I return to Psalm 142, “When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who watch over my way.”

What if God’s goal for my life is not a successful career by the world’s standard?  What if God’s purposes for me are contrary to everything I have believed up to this point?  Can I say with another Psalmist, “Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of God than dwell in the tents of the wicked”?

What values keep you afloat?  Will you continue to bang your head against the wall determined to believe that your way is right?  Or surrender?  I’m scared but I’m excited too. Has God been waiting for me to catch on and do things His way?  As I read back over this blog I have asked a lot of questions.   Where will you find your answers?

“You can’t possibly master enough principles and disciplines to ensure that your life works out. You weren’t meant to and God won’t let you. For He knows that if we succeed without him, we will be infinitely further from Him. We will come to believe terrible things about the universe - things like - I can make it on my own and if I only try harder, I can succeed. “
John Eldredge, Walking With God

Points to Ponder:
  1. What reasons have you come up with as to why you are in the predicament you are currently experiencing?
  2. Have you considered that it might be a blessing?
  3. From where do you get your philosophy of life?
  4. Are there risks to changing my perspective?  What if I’m wrong?
  5. What will I do if success by God’s standards differs from the world’s definition?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God, Fix Our Van!

The Smoothing of the Stone....A Continuing Journey

Obscurity