Hannah: A Righteous Woman in Sinful Times


32nd in a series on how men and women in the Bible 
deal with waiting, disappointment and unemployment

                                                              
                                                    Hannah: A Righteous Woman in Sinful Times                                        
1 Samuel 1-2:11 

It seemed like a good idea at the time.  The place was right.  My wife was happy.  All seemed to be lining up.  Only in hindsight can I see my mistakes and the mistakes of the company that hired me.  In the final interview it was clear that the CEO had views contrary to mine and yet I imagined that these could be overcome.  I ignored the red flags that were waving violently in the wind.  From the perspective of the company, they had been operating at a deficit for years and should never have hired me.  Of course, I didn’t find this out until we were two years in.

So, after 2 1/2 years I had to leave due to financial reasons.  Others outside of the company but familiar with the situation told me that my ideological conflicts would have eventually forced me to leave anyway.  Some natural questions to ask are, “Why is this happening to me?  Did I do something to bring about this problem?  Is it someone else’s fault?”  Good questions to ask, but be ready to own up to the answers.  

In the Old Testament book of 1 Samuel we find a situation where several societal and organizational problems contributed to one person’s misery.  Elkanah, an otherwise upstanding member of his community had married two women.  Something prohibited since the beginning of time.  God had instituted marriage between one man and one woman.  Commentators suspect that because Hannah could not bear children, Elkanah had married Peninnah who then, obviously, became a rival to Hannah, his first wife.  

Why was Hannah barren?  Certainly it was the result of living in a fallen world but as we go on in the story we discover that God had plans for her just as he had plans for Sarah and Rebekah, other Old Testament Matriarchs who had experienced God’s miraculous healing powers.

In regards to the characters of the two woman, you would think that Peninnah’s fertile womb would have made her a joyful and delightful person, but she handled her blessing with arrogance and disdain.  While Hannah, who felt cursed, was loved more by her husband and humbly prayed to God for relief from her lifelong malady.  Blessings and curses are all a test aren’t they?  How we handle them tests our character and integrity.

Hannah’s character was revealed even more when she was found by the priest ,Eli, praying in the temple.  This temple that had been abused by Eli’s sons may have had many women of ill repute loitering on its premises.  So, when Eli saw her mouthing words but making no sound, he figured she was one of them and accused her of being drunk.  Her response was one of respect and humility: “Not so, my lord….Do not take your servant for a wicked woman; I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief.”

The result of her response to Eli brought about a blessing from God.  “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him.”  So, it’s not wrong to defend yourself in the face of being wrongly accused, but the tact we take can make all the difference.  Hannah surely knew the stories of her ancestors and believed in a God who was sovereign.  Therefore, her prayer was honest, heartfelt and trusting.

We read on and in this instance God answered her prayer by giving her a son.  A son that she had dedicated to serve God his whole life even before he was born.  For when he was old enough she gave him to Eli to continue to raise in the Temple.  Hannah’s song of praise was to the Gift Giver and not to the gift of a son.  Today, we are often guilty of focusing on the thing, whether that be obtaining a job, buying a car or getting an education and we forget the One that makes it all possible.  

“My heart rejoices in the Lord.”  “There is no one holy like the Lord.”  “The Lord brings death and makes alive.”  These thematic refrains make it obvious that Hannah, unlike Peninnah who bragged about her ability to have children, was focused on the One who can give life and can take it away.  

One commentator stated, “Are we poor? God made us poor, which is a good reason why we should be content, and reconcile ourselves to our condition. Are we rich? God made us rich, which is a good reason why we should be thankful, and serve him cheerfully in the abundance of good things he gives us.”

Can Hannah’s story help me today as I struggle to gain perspective in the midst of the difficult trials I am experiencing?  Can I thank God whether I am poor or rich?  Can I trust that the God of the universe is not only in complete control but He is also good?  

I have made a lot more mistakes since being let go from that one company.  And I’ve been subjected to other’s bad decisions and I still live in a world that, though often beautiful, is fraught with problems.  I will try to see life from Hannah’s point of view, “My heart rejoices in the Lord; in the Lord my horn is lifted high.”

Points to consider:
  1. Am I still living with regret over a mistake I made years ago rather than trusting that God can bring good even out of the worst circumstances?
  2. Are we willing to admit our mistakes, seek forgiveness?  Are we willing to forgive other’s mistakes?
  3. Do I focus too much on the gift rather than the Giver?
  4. What difference does God’s sovereignty make?  Does it bring comfort or fear?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God, Fix Our Van!

The Smoothing of the Stone....A Continuing Journey

Obscurity