Joseph Part 1: A Career Ending Episode


10th in a series on how men and women in the Bible
deal with waiting, disappointment and unemployment
Joseph Part 1: A Career Ending Episode
Reflections on Genesis 37

Many careers have ended through acts of indiscretion.  The names, Northam, Fairfax and Herring may be remembered not for their performance in public service but their foolish stunts.  The young are often guilty of unwise deeds but their behavior reflects directly upon their parents, teachers, coaches…those, though not entirely to blame, should have had a positive influence upon them.  As we reflect on the biblical story of Joseph, one has to wonder if his upbringing by his father, Jacob, was not partly to blame for the treatment he received at the hands of his brothers.

Joseph had some dreams, which we, with 20/20 hindsight know their prophetic purpose. At the time they were just dreams, but the way in which he told them infuriated his brothers because Joseph, the favored child, had other behaviors that invigorated the brother’s jealousy and ignited their hatred.  If they could have just accepted Joseph’s narcissism as youthful immaturity maybe they could have just roughed him up a bit and been done with it.  Jesus reminds us though, that hate is equivalent to murder.  How many times have I wished evil upon someone?  But we soon learn that jealousy and hatred is “like drinking poison and hoping it hurts the other person”.

The wonder boy, with dreams of stardom, gets thrown into a pit as the brothers plot his demise.  And like any plan with no blueprint, it develops through the philosophy of pragmatism, “whatever seems right at the time”.  Along come some Ishmaelite traders, cousins actually of these brothers, descendants of Abraham.  In this land of lawlessness, they sell their brother for a handful of silver.  We can imagine Joseph crying out to God as he screams for mercy, bound hand and foot in the wagon of the caravan.  

Joseph’s brothers relieved of his whining voice now have to contrive a story to tell their father which will surely kill him.  This becomes a series of deceptions which the brothers must struggle to keep one story between the 10 of them straight.  

As ancient and sordid as this story is, I believe we can find application to our present dilemmas and predicaments:
  1. If we are in a period of unemployment, hearing bad news or waiting, we, along with Joseph may be asking, is this it?  Am I destined to a downward spiral of debilitating events?
  2. What youthful indiscretions still haunt me?  Can I repent and be released?
  3. Do I bear continual hate or resentment toward those who have hurt me?  
  4. Have I been slighted or overlooked in my job or even in my family?  How should I respond?
  5. What evil or wrong have I committed for which I have yet to repent?  What do I do now…it’s been so long?
  6. Am I trusting in God’s sovereignty to deliver justice while I obey the command of Jesus to respond to evil with good?

Next week’s blog - Part 2 of this story reveals things that we did not know nor thought possible.  We, in arrogance or depression think we have it all figured out.  

“Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.”
Philippians 2:12,13


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God, Fix Our Van!

The Smoothing of the Stone....A Continuing Journey

Obscurity