Our Time of Need


 
Our Time of Need

It is constantly debated how and why bad and difficult things happen to us.  We know we live in an imperfect world.  We know hardship seems to be the norm and yet we are always disappointed when it happens to us.  Someone once said, “Instead of asking ‘Why me?’ why not ask, ‘Why not me?’”  Should any of us be exempt from the stuff of life which tests  and challenges us?  The Scriptures do not hide that normal life on earth is difficult.  Just about every issue we can think of is dealt with by the men and woman portrayed throughout the Old and New Testaments.

And yet, when stuff happens, our first response is often surprise.  Tracy and I certainly could not have predicted losing our mothers within 9 days of each other.  We knew for each one that it could happen any day, but nothing quite prepares you for the inevitable.  In the wake of these events I have begun to read this passage a little differently. 

            Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that
            we may receive mercy and find brace to help us in our time of need.
                                                                                                            Hebrews 4:16

I think I envisioned God’s grace as some supernatural peace that would envelope me when a difficult time came.  But what I have discovered is that God’s grace comes in the form of people.  For one, Tracy and I have been able to be a support to each other because we certainly understand what the other is going through.  The journeys are different but the similarities are overwhelming.  Secondly, members at Hebron showed us great compassion during this time.  What a blessing it is to be part of the body of Christ when going through a difficult time. 

Out of this experience comes a challenge:  Will I be available then next time someone close to me experiences a trial?  And will I be aware that they will need me to minister God’s grace to them?  If this is God’s way of showing his love and mercy then each of us needs to be ready to be sent at a moment’s notice. 

Let us pray for each other that as we grow and mature in Christ, we will become better and better at ministering to a dying world.  Yes, Jesus died and rose again so that we might have eternal life.  And yes, He gave us the Holy Spirit as our comforter and counselor. And yes, even angels have been known to minister to humans in need.  But you and I are also to be prepared to bring the message of God’s love, mercy and compassion in a time of need.

God Bless,

Allen  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God, Fix Our Van!

The Smoothing of the Stone....A Continuing Journey

Obscurity