A Perspective on Death


 


A Perspective on Death

How are we to live within our culture?  Should I seek to maintain the peace or boldly proclaim the truth as I see it at the risk of alienating some?  It is always my hope that as I see life through the lens of the gospel that my views and perspectives will be seen as an attempt at honestly seeking and desiring what is best.

This past week I was hit by the news of three deaths: 1) Cecil the lion, 2) Aborted children through Planned Parenthood and 3) A friend’s miscarriage.  Based on the amount of news coverage allotted, it appears that the death of a lion has caused much more outrage than the alleged dealings with Planned Parenthood.  I agree that all life is precious and that wildlife, especially endangered species, ought to be protected.  But the way that certain segments of society have gone about it has shocked me.  People have been so angry that the Dentist who hunted the lion has received death threats.  Therefore, it seems to be the conclusion that his life is worth less than that of the lion and that the revelations from Planned Parenthood carry less weight…according to the amount of coverage on the News.

My theology convinces me that I am to be a steward of all creation, but God’s Word reminds me that humans are the pinnacle of God’s creation as we are made in His image.  The marketing of human organs from aborted fetuses should cause us outrage, but it seems that since abortion is the law of the land, we find ourselves nonplused by this turn of events.  As I was filtering the news through my mind and heart this week, I also stumbled upon a Facebook post by a friend of mine.  It reads:

Today we remember our third child who was due to be born today, but instead was lost to miscarriage. We trust our little one is happy in the presence of Jesus and running around playing with our oldest child who we lost in 2011. When we chose the song, "Blessed Be the Name of the Lord" for our wedding, we had no idea how much the words would resonate with our family life. "He gives and takes away, he gives and takes away, our hearts will choose to say, Lord, blessed be your name."

So, my friend who didn’t even know her child is confident that she will see him or her again in heaven.  Tracy and I also have a child that we don’t know…yet.  She had a miscarriage early in our marriage.  It brings a smile to my face knowing that I have a fourth child waiting for me.

News like this forces us to ask, “Can my faith be real if it does not impact every day life?  Does what I do on Sunday morning have anything to do with how I think about current culture?  How does the worship of God intersect my beliefs and values?”

I know that dealing openly with these issues causes a polarization in our culture, but as followers of Christ I hope that they can be debated using God’s Word as our foundation rather the predominant experiential, relativistic view found in our society. 
Psalm 8:3-9
When I consider your heavens,
    the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
    which you have set in place,
what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
    human beings that you care for them?[c]
You have made them[d] a little lower than the angels[e]
    and crowned them[f] with glory and honor.
You made them rulers over the works of your hands;
    you put everything under their[g] feet:
all flocks and herds,
    and the animals of the wild,
the birds in the sky,
    and the fish in the sea,
    all that swim the paths of the seas.
Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God, Fix Our Van!

The Smoothing of the Stone....A Continuing Journey

Obscurity