A Theology of Call




A Theology of Call

The Christian community today is full of language describing what it means to be called by God. This language was not pulled out of thin air for we have many examples of God calling men and women to specific tasks for him. Moses led the people out of Israel, Jeremiah was called to be a prophet when he was very young, the disciples were asked by Jesus to follow him and Paul was called on the Damascus road. The danger comes when we try to take a singular biblical experience and make it normal for everyone. We need to ask the question, "What was the situation then and where are the similarities and the differences for me today?"

I am ruminating over this question because I recently interviewed for a position with an organization that works with a very specific demographic. I made it to the final interview demonstrating my ability to lead, teach good theology and relate to a variety of ages. What I understood was the determining factor in my not being selected was my lack of conviction that I was called to this demographic. It got me thinking about what this organization has determined as significant criteria and what God believes are the primary motivating factors to determine what our call might be.

We might hear people say, "I am called to go overseas or to minister to the poor or even to minister to the rich." As I scour the Scriptures for evidence of this type of call, I frankly come up empty. Have we created a new theology based upon personal preference that has little to do with biblical standards? Now, I sincerely believe that God has placed a call upon my life to be a minister of the gospel. And I find biblical precedent all throughout the Old and New Testaments. My struggle has been to determine if I am allowed to say that I am called to a specific people group or am I simply following natural desires that I have or God has given me.

My understanding of the biblical call is the following:
1) We are called to be in a relationship with God, therefore we need to respond to his love for us and accept the work that Jesus did on the cross. Romans 10:8-13
2) We are called to love God first and love our neighbors as ourselves. Matthew 22:36-40
3) We are called to make disciples of all nations. Matthew 28:18-20
4) We are called to be holy or perfect: Matthew 5:48
5) We are called to be in the center of God's will. 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
6) We are called to these specific groups: orphans and widows James 1:27
7) We are called to be like Jesus. 1 Corinthians 11:1

Is it possible and indeed probable that God gives people abilities to work with particular groups of people? Yes! Does he work with or even change our desires at times so that all people might be reached with the gospel? I believe so! Are the things I have mentioned God's general calling for all people and does he indeed have specific callings for each of us. Yes and maybe. Personally, as I mentioned, God has called me to be a minister. It has taken many years for my desires to catch up with God's call on my life. For other people it might work differently. But I know of many, many people who would not be able to list any specific calling on their life. Therefore, they would defer to the above list, seek God in prayer and ask what it is they are to do on a daily basis.

I was curious to examine the gospels and see to whom Jesus paid attention. To whom was he called? If I am to be like Jesus, I want to follow his example as closely as possible. His disciples were non-noteworthy people: fisherman and tax collectors. He bent the Jewish law by discipling woman and encouraging them to follow him. He touched the diseased. He healed those who the teachers of the law had cast out and labeled as 'sinners'. One commentator even points out that he never sought out the rich, but they sought him. Zaccheaus, a wealthy tax collector and Nicodemus, a teacher of the Law wanted to know Jesus and he did not refuse them, but even spent significant time with them speaking to them of things eternal rather than earthly things. The poor, disenfranchised, sick, women and other outcasts pursued Jesus because as the Son of God, he embodied love, mercy and compassion and they recognized their need. Those of us who are perceived as wealthy often don't know our needs because we distract ourselves with busyness, possessions and even personal fame. Jesus' contact with the rich, young ruler leaves us hanging except that Mark points out that Jesus loved him.

All of us are made in God's image and all of us are lost in our sin and need a Savior.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, do you have a heart for a particular group of people? Great! Is it a 'call'? I would be careful to use that word. I would be thankful that God has worked within my personality and given me gifts and abilities that enable me to be effective, but sometimes that word, 'call', can over-spiritualize what is normal for all believers. And then there are those who use the word in a negative fashion. i.e. "I don't feel called to those people." All that may mean is that you are being faced with an uncomfortable situation and you are attempting to use spiritual language to slither away.

Finally, my situation may change and I may find myself surrounded by people to whom I had not thought about. A couple of years ago, I was a chaplain at a mental health hospital. I was faced with teenagers and adults who had extreme needs. Some of the duties I had were extremely stressful and I had to examine whether I had the stuff to be effective. One role I had was to lead a weekly Bible study for men at a drug and alcohol recovery house. I loved it. I had never imagined that I would have a heart for people like this, but God equips and enables. Was I particularly effective? I don't know. But for a time, I sensed God's pleasure as I talked with these men.

For that is how Eric Liddell expressed his faith: “I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast! And when I run I feel his pleasure.” So, when questioning a person about their "CALL", maybe we should change our language in order to be more biblically accurate and use Liddell's words. What are doing that you know God is pleased with? If you have gifts and abilities that are leading you in a certain direction and you sense God's pleasure be careful not to let anyone dissuade you from it. There are too many people who pretend to be spiritual when they are only speaking from carnal hearts and using pseudo-spiritual language. i.e. Don't tell me what I can or cannot do based on your preconceived notions of your perception of ministry. Rather, seek biblical advice. Follow Jesus' example and always be prepared to have your thoughts and even desires radically altered.

I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Creator, infinitely holy and loving, who has a plan for the world, a plan for my life, and some daily work for me to do. I believe in Jesus, the Christ, the Son of God, as Example, Lord, and Saviour. I believe in the Holy Spirit who is able to guide my life so that I may know God’s will; and I am prepared to allow him to guide and control my life. I believe in God’s law that I should love the Lord my God with all my heart, and with all my soul, and with all my mind, and with all my strength; and my neighbour as myself. I believe it is God’s will that the whole world should be without any barriers of race, colour, class, or anything else that breaks the spirit of fellowship. To believe means to believe with the mind and heart, to accept, and to act accordingly on that basis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God, Fix Our Van!

The Smoothing of the Stone....A Continuing Journey

Obscurity