I Get It Now

         


                                                               I Get It Now

I attended a church service where I would not normally attend.  I usually go to religious establishments where the values are similar to mine, so this was the exception.  I had heard that the music was good and the service would be better than usual.  So, why not?  Tracy and I arrived and immediately we were not disappointed.  The decor beautified the already aesthetically pleasing sanctuary.  In a way, I felt at home because the architecture was similar to the church in which I was raised.  The proceedings began with a baritone solo of professional quality and was followed by an excellent choir.  The pipe organ began to play and then the ‘hired’ trumpet player performed majestically.  Is it already obvious that I’m trying to describe a ‘no-holds-barred’ production? 

At this point I want to note that I have nothing against professionalism.  I attended a conference years ago in Hawaii at a very large church where a member of the congregation complimented the pastor by saying, “You have the best show on the island.”  That was quite a flattering remark considering that the tourist industry there prides itself on ‘good shows’.  And why should the church not have the best show?  Should not God get our best?  That’s fodder for a different blog.

The service continued with great congregational singing.  We sang traditional songs which again reminded me of my childhood and because the sanctuary was so full, I could belt out notes with a volume that I have rarely used.  The Scriptures were read, prayers were offered and the message was delivered in 20 minutes or less.  That last part is important to Americans who have little tolerance for church services over 1 hour.....somewhere in our DNA that was programmed so that Mom can time when the roast will be done and lunch can be served when expected.

The message...okay, now we get to the critical part.  Or should I say, when I get critical.  I confess that as a fellow pastor, I am the worst critic - either thinking I could do it better or it should have been done differently. I tried, ever-so-hard not to do this at this service because it had gone so well up to this point.  I listened, I followed the points and I understood the theme.  It was poetic, professional and even entertaining.  Well done!  Well done!

I walked out of the doors exclaiming to Tracy, “I get it, I get it!”  I understand why this place is so popular.  I think I know why it attracts a certain clientele and I can actually appreciate what each person in there received.  They get professional music, an attractive venue and an entertaining message.  By the time the offering came around I grasped that attendees voluntarily put money in the plate because the staff and others involved had made it worth their while to be there.  Oh, and those gifts are tax-deductible. 

Cynicism you say?  A cheap shot?  Judgmental?  Yeah...maybe.  But here’s my defense:  I have nothing against the flavor, the style, even the flamboyance, but what I take issue with is that I wasn’t sure why we were there.  Yes, we read Scripture, but the Scripture wasn’t interpreted or preached...the job of the pastor.  Could God have been glorified without good preaching?  Sure!  For the Bible says in Isaiah 55:11, “so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”  The words can do the work all by themselves because God is behind them.

I suppose, still, my issue is with the preacher.  Is it not his responsibility to tell us, in his own words, what God’s Word is about?  I went to seminary for 4 years (I crammed a 3 year program into 4) in order to be able to accurately interpret the Scriptures for my listeners.  I don’t need a seminary degree if I’m going to only quote from the latest journals and compose soliloquies.  If this is what this congregation is getting a weekly dose of then I understand their view of church:  a once-a-week activity that has little to do with the rest of my life.  Whereas, my view of church is that disciples of Jesus Christ and those that are curious gather for corporate worship which is the culmination of their individual worship that has been going on all week. 

The sanctuary is for worship and that can take many forms.  We were made for worship.  If that worship is entertaining, fun, full of laughter, reverent, even somber at times it makes sense that it ought to resemble....us and the one who made us.  The choir, the organ, guitar, drums, readers and pastor are to usher us into the ‘holy-of-holies’(a biblical reference to the place where God literally displayed his presence in the Jewish temple) where we, together, encounter the living God. 

So, yes, I get it.  I get why this church service is attractive.  Maybe it’s like living together instead of marriage...no commitment.  I am not challenged to change anything.  It seems that the mission is to make me feel good about myself.  But what if I don’t?  What if I come looking for God and He is, seemingly, purposefully hidden.  I know God is mysterious, but He is knowable.  His Word proclaims that. In Psalm 46:10 God says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  What about your churches?  Is He proclaimed?  Is it worship that’s going on or merely entertainment?

Let’s have the best show in town, but make it the best because God’s people are giving honor to their creator, the living God of the universe. 



In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; HE HAS RISEN! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: ‘The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’ ”                                    Luke 24:5-7

“If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea.”
     
                                                                                                                              Jesus



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God, Fix Our Van!

The Smoothing of the Stone....A Continuing Journey

Obscurity