Justice



 



Justice

Do other people see things the way I see them?  Do I have an overinflated view of what I ought to do about the injustices that I see?  Is justice being done and I am not aware of it?  And why do other people seem not to care?  We are in the midst of soccer season and endemic to the game are referees or guys in striped shirts that run around making bad calls.  You can already see where I’m going with this.  I know referees are human and their mistakes are just part of the game, but when their mistakes mean that players could possibly get injured. I go ballistic.  It’s as if I think I can change the refs mind if I only yell loud enough.  I literally have a physical reaction to what I see happening on the field.

I have thought deeply about this and I’m trying to figure out what in my life makes me so intent on making others see that their sense of justice is weak or their point of view is just plain wrong.  And why do others have such a casual view of life?  I can’t imagine sitting in the stands of the soccer stadium and watching the game like I watch a television show or a movie, but that’s what some look like.  And I don’t yell at the TV.  That’s another malady altogether.

The important question to ask is: “Do I get upset about world issues like the child-slave trade, forced prostitution, abortion, abuse of any kind, poverty, hunger, etc.?”  They disturb me but they don’t occupy my mind 24 hours a day.  It seems almost sick to say that.  What is wrong with me?  Shouldn’t intolerance for injustice extend to all areas of life?  

The Bible speaks clearly about what we are to do as in Micah 6:8, He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Is that all?  If I could extend my ballisticness into the arenas that really matter I would imagine that I might end up in jail on occasion or as Mike Yaconnelli, founder of Youth Specialties used to say to youth ministers, “If you guys would really do your job, you would get fired!”  Frankly, we are just too timid most of the time.  We’re not willing to expend the energy or upset the status quo.  Hey!  We’ve got family responsibilities and a reputation to be concerned about right?  RIGHT?!?!

World Vision founder Bob Pierce said, “Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God.” Do I dare make that my prayer?  I can’t say it in a trivial manner.  It would be like singing that song where we say, “Brokenness, Brokenness, is all I need...”  Are you kidding?  Who actually wants to be broken?  

So, what is justice in a world where I represent 1% of the world's population but use 95% of its resources?  Do I even have a right to cry about injustice?  Or do I, just by the fact that I have been given much, will be demanded much, as Jesus says in Luke 12.  I walk down this road with fear and trepidation.  I have taken my temperature this Fall and discovered that I am hot with feelings of injustice.  Now Lord, if I am to go deeper with this and seek your will and your feelings about injustice, I trust that you will go with me.  

And certainly the greatest injustice that was ever done is stated in Romans 5:8, But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  Thank you Lord, that you don’t exact justice toward me, but extend the injustice of the sacrifice of Jesus so that I might live and extend your love toward others.

I thought that by writing out my thoughts, I would develop a clearer understanding of justice and injustice and my responsibility.  My only resolve so far is to not yell as much at the next soccer game.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God, Fix Our Van!

The Smoothing of the Stone....A Continuing Journey

Obscurity